Sunday, July 5, 2009

Poop Post

Monday I finally saw a Gastroenterologist. My abdominal pain stumped him, and he scheduled me quickly for an endoscopy/colonoscopy on Thursday. I took this stuff called Osmoprep the evening before to prep for the colonoscopy. I took 20 pills with 5 glasses of water in one hour, and then waited for the onslaught. I pooped 15 times that night!!! The next morning I took the remaining 12 pills with 3 glasses of water and the festivities continued.

On Thursday, I arrived at the Endoscopy Center and they prepped me with my IV. The doc sprayed some kind of anaesthetic in my throat and told me to swallow. It was the grossest-tasting liquid ever, and it instantly made my throat numb. It felt so weird, and I thought I couldn't breathe because I couldn't feel my throat. But two breaths later, I was already falling asleep from the sedation. I guess I woke up an hour later, but I don't remember anything -- not the doctor talking to me and Miles, not getting dressed, not leaving the Center, not stopping at Walgreen's, not telling Miles if the doc asked if I was mad at him for the Osmoprep. LOL. When I got home I passed out for four hours, and woke up with a sore throat. I discovered the doc had given us color printout pictures of my stomach and colon, that was pretty cool. Looks like I have erosive gastritis (inflammation of the stomach), possibly caused by bile reflux. He gave me some pills to take. I'm so thankful he didn't see anything worse, yet at the same time I'm thankful that he saw something so maybe I can finally get some relief...

No comments: