Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Chemo #2 + Hair Coming Out

Yesterday was chemo round #2, and it wasn't so bad except it was a 6-hour process. Miles and I arrived & I had my CBC done, which I thought they'd do through my new port. Instead they just pricked my finger, squeezed a bit of blood into a tube, then the tube went in the machine and it spit out my CBC report in minutes. Pretty cool stuff.

Then we met with my oncologist, and then had to wait 2 hours for my actual infusion. Since the onc's office was closed Thu/Fri for Christmas, the office was overflowing with patients, it was insane! I finally got my chair around 2 pm. I got my saline flush, my Aloxi/Decadron drip, my Avastin/placebo drip, the Adriamycin push, and lastly the Cytoxan drip. It took about 2.5 hours. There was a really nice older man to my left that we talked to for a while. To my right was a cute old lady who snored through her chemo session.

We came home and I was fine for a while, and then I crashed around 9 pm and slept til midnight. Then I woke up for a couple hours, then slept another 10 hours. Sleep, sleep, sleep. That's all I want to do the first few days after chemo.

Today was Christmas Eve and my mom cooked yummy turkey dinner. My brother and Miles' Dad came over for dinner. After dinner came our Christmas surprise -- suddenly my hair was coming out! Each time I ran my hand through my mohawk I came back with about 10 hairs in my palm. So my mom shaved my head, and I spent all evening running a lint roller over my head picking up little bits.


I am pleasantly surprised with the shape of my head. :)

2 comments:

M.'s Ramblings said...

'Tis nicely shaped indeed. :) I think the back of my head's a little flat, actually.
Hope you had a good Christmas - Mom's cooking always makes things better, doesn't it?

jane said...

yeah, your head seems to be a fine shape. great work!