Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Chemo Round #1

Last night I had some chemo anxiety dreams. Then this morning we went in at 9:30 a.m., got a billing consultation, and then headed to the chemo office. I got a chair in the corner inbetween a sweet old lady that kept smiling at me and a dozing old man. My nurse was very nice. She expertly inserted an IV in my hand. I got a saline flush to test the IV, then they hooked me up to 2 anti-nausea drugs Aloxi and Decadron. I declined an Ativan for anxiety, but 2 minutes later I felt faint and went ahead with the Ativan. Then I went up to pee and noticed in the bathroom mirror that I couldn't see one of my eyes when I looked straight at it. I started having a weird ocular migraine type thing with my vision, I could see this spiky shimmering thing blocking my view. The nurses told me the Decadron could have caused it. It really messed with my view and made me feel very weird in the brain, but luckily over the next 15 minutes it moved towards the periphery of my vision and eventually went away.

Then the nurse pushed the Adriamycin in ("the red devil"). It made my arm super cold, even with a heating pack on it. After the Adriamycin push was done I went to pee and my pee was bright orange already. Then I came back and they hooked up the Cytoxan for 30 minutes. I was drowsy from the Ativan by then. That went quickly and finally they did the Avastin/Placebo over 90 minutes. I slept through some of that.

Then I was all done! Round #1 done! I came home and we had to take Trigger to the vet again, because she was in critical condition again. :( I was super tired waiting there. Finally we came home and I went straight to bed after taking some more anti-nausea meds. I slept for a good 5 hours, and now I've been awake a couple hours about to go to bed again. Not bad for my first day, that is reassuring...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

man, that sounds kinda horrible. hope you are feeling less weird in the brain now.